Friday, October 12, 2012

Great Weekend in North Carolina

This is mu last post about my trip to see the kids last weekeend so hold on tight!

We had a three day weekend due to Columbus Day. Thank you Christopher Columbus go almost discovering the Americas!

I took an extra day and made it a four day long trip to see the Carolina Kids. I miss them terribly because they live so far from us. They both love the Southeast and have put down roots in Charlotte, North Carolina.
My daughter, the Southern Belle, had quite a weekend planned. I arrived Thursday night just before midnight. I spent the day with my sweet daughter shopping for wedding dresses, but I have already told you that. Friday night we met up with her fella and drove out to Belmont, North Carolina.  I loved this small town and when I come back to visit with Hubby we are going to shop like crazy there.  It really is like Mayberry ( filmed in North Carolina FYI).  There were checker boards set up outside shops, people sitting on benches and kids on bicycles.  The downtown has a restored locomotive and two rail cars restored.  The weather was picture perfect. 


We met up with some of the Southern Belle's coworkers at Jax. 

The weather was so great that everyone was out on the back deck.  I loved being able to meet some of the people she works with.  It made me feel better that some of them had their parents there too.  I think I could move to Belmont.

 Saturday morning we were up bright and early to volunteer at KIPP Academy, Charlotte. I was very proud of the daughter.  She had arranged this program and was responsible for all the speakers at the Girls Leadership Program that day.   This is her Junior League volunteer project and she loves the girls she works with.  It is great to see her giving back to the community.

Saturday afternoon we went to the Great Grapes Wine, Food and Arts festival.  I got to meet another of Rachel's friends, Amber along with her husband Allen.  I hear a lot about these new friends so it was great to actually meet them.  We enjoyed the festival a lot.  I love to go to events that showcase local wines. 

Saturday night The Southern Belle and her beau took me to Leroy Fox a local resturant in their neighborhood.  Can you tell I ate well this weekend?  The food was great, but I was so tired I think I went to bed about 9:00.  A storm blew in during the night and dropped the temperature 20 degrees.

Sunday morning we took off for the kids' church, Hawthorne Lane United Methodist.  The kids will be getting married there.  It is nice to see that they have found a church that they are fitting into.

We rushed home to dress for another volunteering opportunity.  The Southern Belle is a ZTA and it was Think Pink day in the NFL. The ZTA sorority 's number one --- is the Susan G. Komen foundation.  My daughter volunteered to pass out pink ribbons to fans so her beau and I did too.  We attended the game after volunteering. 

The Southern Belle and her beau before the game.
It was COLD.  I was not dressed very warmly.  I ended up wearing my future son-in-law's shirt, a long sleeved shirt and the volunteer tshirt  while he just wore the short sleeved volunteer shirt.  (thanks!) The temperature kept dropping.  The clouds moved in... we bailed at half-time.

On the way home we stopped at another local resturant, Krazy Fish . It is a funky little place that has wild art in it and the most unique food.  It is sort of an Asian meets soul food restaurant. I had a Roti for the first time.

Monday morning I enjoyed waking up late and reading while the Southern Belle went to work.  When she got home at 11:00 went shopping. It is those day to day simple things I miss most with my kids so far away from me.

Thank you for letting me share my weekend with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment